Last month we began work on finishing the bottom section of Les’1 which unfortunately Clixby’s ran out time to complete. The existing line was straight and very slippery with mud. We added an extra corner with the intention of adding more as we worked our way down the trail. Unfortunately some small-minded individuals decided they didn’t like our work, and 2 days later ripped it out, to reinstate the straight line. This was done so they could launch off a set of steps that Clixby’s has added. The ironic thing is that is Clixby’s had finished the trail, there would have been a huge right hand berm in the landing zone, so the steps would only have been rollable. On another note whilst we were working today, the majority of riders actually took the line we had put in. It’s so frustrating that a few individuals ruin things for everyone else.
Anyway onto today’s work. Obviously we had to repair the mess that the idiots had left, which had become a sloppy wet mess. In order to keep things simple the plan was to reinstate the original straight line. We removed the armouring we had laid last month, and used it to create a line around the slop, with a drainage channel underneath. A few rocks here and there and the line was sorted. A few test riders passed through as we worked, with one club member even jumping off the steps and hitting the line perfectly.
Working further down the trail I wanted to make sure the drainage was improved and keep as much water off as possible. We added a channel to the left and armoured the trail on the right. A little further down a rock step was added for some interest, and the drainage then diverted across the trail into an existing drain off that was added by Clixby’s. We will continue this theme down the trail, to hopefully create a more durable, and more importantly safe line down the trail. The current rutted, slippy, muddy mess is far from safe for less experienced riders.
At the bottom of the section there was a bit of a gully forming in the work that Clixby’s had done, but due to a lack of drainage has become wet and soft. We rebuilt the ground up and will added some armour next time.
Anyway thank you to today’s volunteers, Andy, Dan, Gary, and myself.
Here’s the pics: